Man it is so crazy how quickly this year is slipping on by. Thanksgiving has come and gone just like that, and there is less than a month until Christmas. . . LIKE HOW DID THAT HAPPEN?! I'm so excited that this year is going by rather quickly, but at the same time I'm feeling anxious because 2014 is going to be a year filled with lots of changes! However, now is not the time to worry about all the things to come. Now is the time to live in the present and concentrate on what I have to be thankful for this holiday season.
Right now I'm thankful that God let me have such a lovely Thanksgiving break! I did a lot of awesome stuff over the break, so here is a list of all the shenanigans I was up to last week:
- Movie date! Texas experienced some pretty bad weather last weekend, so all of the fun activities my sister and I had planned got cancelled. So we decided to go see the new Hunger Games movie, Catching Fire. It was really great spending some one on one time with my little sister. I hope that we'll be able to have some more fun times like that before I leave for college, because I'm really going to miss her :(
Just in case you can't tell. . . my sister was really excited to see Catching Fire!
- Adventure into the City! My friend Erin and I went to visit our friend, Tj, who is being treated at hospital 30 minutes away in the city. I felt really awesome and independent driving to the city without my parents, so that was rad. . . ANYWAYS, it was really great to see my friend Tj, and find out that he is doing a lot better!(Keep him in your prayers please!)
- Thanksgiving Potluck! My church hosts an annual Thanksgiving potluck. Usually I don't go because I have to help my Mom prepare for Thanksgiving, but this year my Mom didn't need help I guess so I got to go! I met up with some of my youth group friends beforehand, so it was really nice to catch up with all my cool Catholic friends. It really made me wish that I had been able to go to the potluck in years prior, because I had such a pleasant time. Like who doesn't like getting to eat an extra Thanksgiving meal and hang out with cool Catholics!?
- Thanksgiving! Our family friends came over and celebrated the day of thanks with my family and I. We don't get to see them often because they live a little over an hour away, so anytime that we get to spend with them is always lovely. The family has a daughter my age, Chelsea, and a son my brother's age, Dylan, so we always get a long very well.
- Sleepovers! Every Thanksgiving my best friend Chelsea spends the rest of
Thanksgiving weekend with us, which is always one big party. Chelsea is really goofy, and I'm really goofy, so when you put two goofballs together you know shenanigans and fun are bound to happen. Chelsea is a year younger than me, so it was also kind of bitter sweet this year, because I know it will be so weird next year at Thanksgiving when I'm the one coming home from college. I've known her since I was 9 years old, so it's really awesome that our friendship is still the same after all these years.
- Soccer! I had a tournament the day after Thanksgiving, which was not something I was looking forward to at first, because I really don't like having tournaments the day after a major holiday. . .BUT, I realized that having a tournament the day after Thanksgiving wasn't so bad. I mean that gave me an excuse to eat anything I wanted, because I knew I would have 3 soccer games to burn off all that turkey, pie, and stuffing. Praise God!
For Advent I decided to challenge myself, by setting aside time everyday to meditate on the readings for the day. I've also been reading the blog of this really awesome priest, who writes about things to think about after reading scripture. The combination of scripture and the blog has allowed me to be less distracted during prayer. It's really crazy, because I wasn't expecting the addition of daily scripture to effect my day to day life that much. . . but it really has. I find myself being more positive, and my thoughts more directed towards Christ. I'm really happy that I've found zeal for scripture! Praise God, for He is WAY to good!
Try to challenge yourself this Advent to do something extra, so you can grow in your relationship with God and give Him thanks!
I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving break, and that everyone is preparing their hearts for Christmas!
Praying for y'all!
Here is the link to that Priest's blog I'm reading! Enjoy!