"Jesus teaches us another way: Go out. Go out and share your testimony, go out and interact with your brothers, go out and share, go out and ask. Become the Word in body as well as spirit." -Pope Francis I

Sunday, March 2, 2014

My Lenten Journey


Hello everyone! It has been quite a while since I've blogged. Life has been incredibly busy over the last 2 months for this Cathlete!!

It's hard to believe that Lent is finally here!! For the next 47 days I'm going on what I like to call a spiritual diet. Lent is a time in which we cleanse ourself of impurities. A time in which we step back and look closer at our spiritual life, and ask ourselves what can we do to grow closer to our Lord. So here is what I am giving up/doing to grow spiritually this lent:

  1. Bread
  2. Sweets
  3. Listening to music in the car
  4. Twitter/instagrm
  5. Pray a rosary every day 
  6. Meditate on the scripture 30-hour every day

I'm really nervous for Lent this year, because giving up sweets, bread, and jamming in the car for 47 days is going to be so hard... Like I actually don't know what I'm going to do with myself.

At the same time I am super excited to give up these things, because this will be a huge opportunity for me to lean on Christ and experience a really small amount of His sufferings on the cross! I pray that through my Lenten journey, I'll have a stronger relationship to Jesus in the Eucharist and become a more charitable daughter of God. I can't wait to grow closer to my Love<3


Last week one of my friends asked me what I was giving up for lent. When I showed him my list he gave me this awkward look and said, "Man Allie, now I feel like a bad person for just giving up one thing for Lent." I brushed it off at the time, and told him that wasn't true, but after thinking about his comment I've come to realize something about Lent. Each of us have the opportunity to undergo our own spiritual transformation during this time of the liturgical year, and sacrifice different things in order to become a better version of ourselves. Lent is not about quantity, it is about quality. I am called to give up/do the things on my list, because I feel that this is the best way for me to improve my spiritual life. Maybe my list is longer than yours, or maybe your list is longer than mine. It doesn't really matter what you're giving up for Lent, as long as you are "denying your flesh, and making more room for God." Jesus will smile at you as you carry your cross. We all have a different paths to take in life, but we all have the same goal which is holiness. So let us all strive to find our meaning in God and not things of this earth as much as we can, so that one day, we might all be united with our Lord in Heaven. Let us all be reminded, through Lent, that God is the only way to the eternal life.


God Bless you all.


-Al




Watch this!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5bfxGNMY9c

No comments:

Post a Comment