"Jesus teaches us another way: Go out. Go out and share your testimony, go out and interact with your brothers, go out and share, go out and ask. Become the Word in body as well as spirit." -Pope Francis I

Monday, November 4, 2013

We Are One Body

One of my favorite things to do at youth group is participate in small group discussions. Typically, we eat dinner with our small group for about twenty minutes, then meet up later on to discuss the topics that were presented to us in the larger group setting. Although I am pretty good friends with most kids in my youth group, I don't know all of them on a personal level. This year in particular, has been a challenge for my small group, because we have a lot of new kids so it has taken a while for us to open up to each other. For me, sharing my opinions/feelings/questions about my faith or life is so easy. .. I mean I could probably talk for hours on end if they let me. Thankfully, most of the other kids in my small group are not like me, so it has been really great getting to know the members of my small group over the past 2 months on a deeper level.

Last week at youth group we discussed our plans for the future and lifelong goals. It was really great because all of the kids in my small group are seniors, so everyone was able to contribute to the group discussion. As we all chatted a bit about what we see in our future I noticed that no two people in my group shared similar answers. The answers varied from a college professor, to a business woman, to a sports dude, to a PE teacher, to a stay at home mom. I looked around at the different members in my small group and thought to myself, how on earth did we all end up in the same group? It actually blows my mind how different each kid in my group is from the other. I am the outgoing soccer player, Brendan is the easy going golfer, Lindsey is the intellectual jokester, Chris is the silly band kid, Amanda is the quiet sweetheart, Karen and Edwin the super reserved kids, Charlie is the braniac, and Kristina and Abby are the bubbly go getters. I found myself amazed at how we were all able to pour our hearts out and share such personal things with each other during small group discussion that night.

Although we all had different immediate goals for our future, we all had the same ultimate goal; live a life according the the will of God. How crazy is that? 10 people, with 10 totally different personalities, and 10 totally different career goals are united by one goal: CHRIST.
That is the reason why I love youth group so much. I absolutely love how people from totally different backgrounds can come together and adore God. Some people say that going to youth group is pointless, but for me, youth group is really what keeps me sane. Regardless of what kind of week I'm having, the youth at my church always put a smile on my face and make me remember the positive things in my life. I always leave youth group feeling ready for the coming week, and inspired to be holier woman of God.

My 2 favorite verses from Hebrews are:
"And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds,  not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching."

I love these verses, because I think that way too often we forget that Christ didn't intend for us be quiet and serious all the time. He intended for us to have times of silence and reverence, and times of joy and excitement where we can be on fire for God. I think that sharing our faith with others on a weekly basis is really important for spiritual growth. Having a place in which you can go and ask questions and examine your faith is a GREAT way to learn more about yourself and grow as a Christian. I can't tell you guys how many questions I've gotten answered about my beautiful Catholic faith by going to youth group. Like the things that I have learned over the past 3 years of being involved with youth ministry are really incredible. Not only have I grown in my faith, but also, I have grown relationships with other cool Catholic kiddos who are now some of my best friends. (The best part is that I am still learning and growing! God is endless, so we can never get enough of Him!)

I don't know what Christ has planned for me in the future, but I do know that having a strong Catholic community by my side will push me to grow closer to Jesus, and not take life so seriously. I'm truly blessed to be apart of the Catholic church, and have such a lovely youth group.

We are one body, one body in Christ; and we do not stand 


alone.



Never forget it.

-Al

No comments:

Post a Comment